Tuesday, October 26, 2010

In Rotation, October 2010

Not a ton of new stuff to add to the list this month, but good stuff nonetheless:

XBOX 360
  • Dead Rising 2. Happy(?) to report the game's unabashed, directionless sexism continues apace. That aside, I'm having fun with it. I've still never not finished last in the multiplayer, but the whole premise - a kind of American Gladiators spectacle with zombies - is so ridiculous I hardly care. I won't pretend I'm not a little let down by this sequel; as Brad Gallaway points out, there's really not much new or different in this iteration. Still, it has its bizarre charms. There's nothing quite like repeatedly smacking a zombie in the face with a foot-long purple "massager" while wearing nothing but a cowboy hat and boxer shorts. Unlike MY WIFE, I appreciate that Dead Rising 2 gives me the opportunity to do that. Regularly.
  • Red Dead Redemption. I haven't progressed much since I wrote about RDR last week, mostly because I've been obsessed with:
  • Deadly Premonition. Nothing, not even the aforementioned face-dildoing, comes close to the sheer WTF-erry of this budget-ass Twin Peaks ripoff. I'll write more about Premonition this week, but for now, let me just say that it has rapidly, unexpectedly, and thoroughly unironically shot up my "games of the year" list. In the meantime, go read Daniel Wiessenberger's excellent series of articles on the topic.

NINTENDO DS

  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife. Picked up this one, along with Harvest Moon DS, as a gift for Mrs. JPG. While the gameplay itself is fairly mediocre - it's a glorified pixel-hunt embedded into an anime-style medical drama - the real value of the title has been its voice clips. "Doctor Stiles?" Yeeeeeeessssssss, sexy nurse? Never gets old.

ANDROID

  • Angry Birds. Mad love to Rovio for bringing their adorable, addictive puzzler to Android - and for free, at that! If Jon Hamm's proselytizing isn't enough, the game is so great it's even inspired its own line of plush dolls. Only a few triumphs can pull that off.

2 comments:

  1. Deadly Premonition is still the closest thing I have to a game of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easily the most broken, and yet most unique and thought-provoking, title I've played this year. Or in the last few years, really.

    Once you accept the fact that this is a budget-ass title and get in the right mindset to look past its budget-ass flaws, it's a real treat. In many ways it's more ambitious than most AAA games. I think it would've gotten a very different reaction had it been released five years ago. As it stands it's kind of an awesome comment on the state of mainstream gaming and consumers' expectations in the present landscape.

    And York has to be the most intriguing protagonist I've played since, I dunno, the Nameless One in Planescape: Torment. Right, Zach?

    ReplyDelete