- Destructoid's Chad Concelmo gets a bunch of animals at the LA Zoo to make E3 predictions. I want this dude's job.
- Fellow GWJer Switchbreak, inspired by this post, creates the world's first Second-Person Shooter.
- Kieron Gillen at Rock, Paper, Shotgun writes about the controversial new "Hey Baby" game, in which the the player, as a female character being harrassed on the street, gets to enact her revenge on the catcallers with a machine gun. "That your passing desire means you get to derail a woman’s life whenever you feel like it," he says to the dense male audience he's explaining the game's social commentary to, "is the absolute definition of male privilege." Do yourself a favor and DON'T follow up by reading the moronic comments on the RPS forums.
- Michael Thomsen's article "Revival Horror: New Ideas in Fear-Making" contains some great quotes from developers on how to create effective scares in a game.
- May I suggest pairing the above article with a second course? The folks at Irrational Games discuss what scares them and how that factors into their games in their podcast.
Friday, June 4, 2010
Your choice morsels for this week. Please to enjoy.