Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Quick Update

Brought home an unexpected souvenir from vacation: a nasty cold. It's the gift that keeps on giving, if Mrs. JPG's 101-degree fever yesterday was any indication.

Acclimating to the real world has been especially difficult this time, since I arrived back in Boston to a larger-than-usual pile of work. So much for me thinking I can take a week off, you know, ever.

Okay, deep breath. There, that's better.

Now then. For obvious reasons I don't anticipate having any semblance of regular or meaningful content to share in the next several days, which means the thrilling conclusion to the DLC Tale of the Tape will have to wait.

In its stead, permit me to offer the following choice tidbits, and then retire gracefully with my NyQuil.

  • The two Mass Effect books by Drew Karpyshyn didn't disappoint. They were pretty...Mass Effect-y. The second book, Ascension, was particularly interesting in that it fills in some of the backstory about Cerberus and the Illusive Man prior to the events of Mass Effect 2. I'm actually glad I read the book after having completed the game; it made me that much more invested in the story and provided some much-needed context about the Illusive Man in particular. Anyone else have a similar experience?
  • Speaking of ME2, I started a second playthrough as a custom female Shepard yesterday. I'd played both games as the default male Shepard previously. I like the voice actress, but man, it feels frakkin' weird. It's like watching Angelina Jolie play Jason Bourne or something.
  • Valve released the Steam Mac client today. Portal is free until May 24. And there was much rejoicing.
  • Beginning to think my recent purchase (on sale, naturally) of BioShock 2 might've been a mistake. I just can't seem to get into it so far - maybe 2 hours in. Which is a shame, since Mrs. JPG loved sharing the first BioShock experience with me and wants to see every minute of the second, but it's just been tough for me to work up the motivation to jump into it. Granted, I'm playing on Hard difficulty, but combat feels punishing in a cheap kind of way: Subject Delta is inexplicably weak, trap rivets are largely useless, and splicers' attacks seem inordinately effective. I definitely suck at twitchy FPSes, so I'll cop to the very real possibility that my own lack of skill is a problem - but still, come on. My dude is a walking tank and he gets taken down by a 90-pound flapper with a wrench? Sure, he might have just woken up after 10 years, but he's still in a thick-ass iron suit, right? That ought to count for something.
  • So I downloaded Dr. Mario Express for the DSi before we left. This turned out to be the best decision I've made in a long time. What a perfect little game Dr. Mario was/is. The 15 DS carts I took along never left my backpack. It always amazes me when simple puzzle/logic games completely outclass their AAA brethren.
Alright, off to medicate. Will post again when I can breathe out of my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment